Wednesday, March 7, 2012

More Bumps and Bruises {44}

Dear Miss Dinah,

Today we did lots of things.

I'm having a hard time remembering back to this morning! Haha.
Oh yes, we went to the Dollar General to buy some flowers to make hair bows.
Then we stopped by Guinney and Gampa's -- and would you believe it -- she had just made some baby headbands of her own. We took a few of the larger size, and she plans on taking the rest to your cousin Emma who she and Gampa are flying to go see on Friday.

You chased Cricket around, and in your exuberance, bumped your cheek on the table as you attempted to stand up and get a better view.

You've been getting many, many, many a bump and bruise lately. On the one hand, I feel bad about this. On the other hand, I'm not thinking that I am going to pad the walls anytime soon.

I have a friend whose husband has had to be away for a loooong time. Unfortunately, she is also having trouble with her wrists, so she's not able to put her baby (nearly 5 months) very many different positions, such as holding her out with legs dangling, or propping her up in the standing position.

When you were quite young -- probably around 2.5 months, I remember your Daddy playing with you on the bed and being much rougher with you than I thought he should be. He kept pushing the limits until finally he did reach a point where something frightened you, and you started whaling. Of course, I came running in, wanting to scoop you up in my arms and coddle you. (I think I might have done this, I honestly don't remember now whether I did or didn't!)

But after that, something inside of me told me to trust your Daddy with you. Somehow I sensed that it was important for him to test the limits with you. I took a DEEP breath and tried not to get anxious and intervene each time he swung you around, lifted you to outrageous heights, flipped you over on his back...etc :)

Since then, I have actually read that it is important to let fathers test the limits like this. To play with children their way, without a hovering mother worried about what will happen next.

Thankfully, our friend's Daddy will get to come home in another month or so. And they are so excited! I must also say though, that even with a Daddy around and wrists that (thank God!) allow me to hold you in all sorts of positions, there is something hard about being a mother. That is the temptation to worry about the areas in which we lack, and how you may end up deficient because of it. When I'm in the city, I could worry you are not getting enough down time. When I'm in the country, I could worry you are not getting enough stimulation. And on. And on. And on.

Mammas are fallible, human, and their knowledge of the world is finite (no matter how much they Google). But should they throw in the towel when it comes to fulfilling your every need? I don't think so. Nope. Can mammas be perfect? Yup! I'm not sure many would agree with that statement, but hear me out  :)

Not perfect like doing everything right, in all areas, all the time. But perfect in submission -- submitting all areas deficiency to the God of wholeness and allowing Him to fill in the gaps and plug up the holes, whether through family, friends, or supernatural provision. He delights in fulfilling our each and every single need. Without fail.


I love you.

Mamma <333

No comments:

Post a Comment