Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Making a List {79}

Dear Miss Dinah,

I have sat here in front of the screen for a good 10 minutes now. There are so many things I want to impart to you that sometimes, I don't know exactly where to begin.

This Mamma of yours has never been a very good "list" person. That means I haven't been good at either making lists, or following them when I do make them. I've always been more comfortable "going with the flow." Well lately, I've been encouraged to make lists, set priorities to the things on that list, and concentrate on one thing at a time, without distraction, as I make my way down the list throughout the course of a day.

One thing that finally pushed me over edge to take this advice was a photo I came across on Facebook. It shows a person standing on the ground and an image (a rainbow I think) representing that person's 'life goals' a few yards ahead. The catch is, in between the person and the goals is an enormous, gaping chasm. Deep in the chasm in big bold letters is written the word, 'INTERNET.'

Baby girl, this really got me to thinking. I don't think the internet has prevented me from accomplishing certain tasks and goals as much as it has subtly influenced what it is I end up doing. I think it has added certain things into our life and daily schedule that are peripheral to what I would say that I want to accomplish, if asked. For many people I know, the internet is a helpful tool, for me it ends up being more of a distraction.

In college, my friend Kat gave me a poster with Alice and the Cheshire Cat on it:
"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don’t much care where--" said Alice.
"Then it doesn’t matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"--so long as I get SOMEWHERE," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you’re sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough.
~Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
 Chills. Sure to get SOMEWHERE, though it could be a deep, dark pit!

Our Father God gave us the answers to what our life's goals should be, down to what our daily tasks should look in the letter he wrote to his children - the bible. Anything and everything else either adds to or takes away from that. Thank God for the wisdom and discernment to know the difference!


Playing with Eddie on lunch-break. You also used his head for balancing while standing :)

You and Daddy reading Babar's French Lessons. You are chomping on your toothbrush.

It was dark, but I didn't want to turn on the light and ruin the mood! You dropped your toothbrush on the ground on purpose because you wanted to climb away to get it...silly girl.
I love you.

Mamma <3

No comments:

Post a Comment